Friday, May 16, 2008

Another Fun Prom Story

This time, this story comes from Detroit, Michigan. However, unlike my last post about prom season, this story actually occurred before prom season. At Stevenson High School, 44 seniors were suspended for a day because of a t-shirt they were all wearing. Additionally, school officials are considering banning the students from prom and graduation.

The t-shirt was part of an annual tradition called the "ripening of the tomato," where freshman were green shirts, sophomores - yellow shirts, juniors - orange shirts, and seniors - red shirts. However, it was what was written on the shirts that got the seniors in trouble. Just how offensive was the t-shirt? You tell me. On the front of the t-shirt, it read "Puschin' It To The Limit," which is a play on Busch beer. The back of the t-shirt, it read "Class of .08 Senior," which the school officials explained was a reference to Michigan's blood-alcohol limit for drivers.

The school is holding a meeting today, so the seniors can learn how they can "earn" back the privilege of going to prom and graduation. What would you be willing to do in order to "earn" that privilege? If you were a parent, would you let your kid wear that shirt?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I was a senior, I would tell the school to go to hell, and be glad to get out of graduation. Heck, I tried to skip mine, but my school threatened to not give out my diploma, and my grandparents really wanted to see me walk. (I did skip out on my college graduation ceremony, btw). I would be pissed about not going to prom, just on the off chance it might interfere with my sex life, but I probably wouldn't care.

If I were a parent, I would probably laugh at my kid's shirt and let him wear it if it did not obviously violate a published dress code. I would then fight the school on enforcing a petty and arbitrary standard.