Monday, May 19, 2008

Graduation: To Go or Not To Go, That is Not The Question

As I mentioned previously, in response to a t-shirt that seniors were wearing, the school administrators were contemplating banning the seniors from prom and possibly graduation. CN, who left a comment about my post, mentioned that they would “be glad to get out of graduation.” After going through a few of them myself, looking back, I too would be glad to get out of graduation. I knew quite a few of my friends that skipped their high school or college graduation, because of how long it is and then you have the sometimes boring speakers. However, that option was never available to Jeff Greenwood, a senior at Opheim High School in Great Falls, Montana, who is both the student body president and the senior class president. Because Greenwood’s graduating class consists of only Greenwood (yes, it is a class of 1). I wonder how did elections go for senior class president? Who nominated Greenwood? Was it a landslide victory?

So when graduation came, there was no opportunity to be lost in the crowd or not noticed if he skipped. Rather, it would be that one empty chair just sitting there. The only thing that makes matters worse, is that his commencement address was being given by Montana’s Governor, Brian Schweitzer. Could you imagine the pressure he was in? I imagine there would be no video games or joking around during this ceremony. If you were in his situation would you go? Do you feel like you would have a choice? All I have to say is, while the ceremony was definitely shorter, I think I like being amongst the sea of graduates rather than having a special graduation just for me.

1 comment:

Sean said...

How does the school get the governor to attend a graduation of one student? I know Montana is a small state in terms of population, but still.